From UO Evolution
If you make a mistake in game and lose an item it will not be replaced by staff. Losing items is part of the game! Make sure you bless and insure all your important items or store them safely in your bank/house.
Many players each day, page the staff and complain about "losing" items. We DO NOT replace player items that just "disappear" Our server reports/logs all items that are removed or "lost".
I have only had 1 incident where it was a legitimate "missing item" was our fault, that we had to remove.
The fact is that out of the dozens of reports, 99% of the missing items were found or were lost due to human error.
Common Reasons for lost Items
Before you make a report to a gm, please check this list
Here are some of the common reasons I have seen for "lost" items in my investigations:
1. Misplaced the item, it turns up in another bag, bank or at your house. The item may be same color as another and blends in, or it may be under another item.
2. The item lost durability and was not repaired, it then "disappears" when it breaks
3. If you fight a monster that uses an acid attack, you may lose durability/item so beware!
4. Players can steal from you in Felucca!
5. Guildmates and Alliances can steal from each other anywhere
6. Some boss monsters can "eat" or unbond your pets, read the wiki for info!
7. You must feed your pets or they can go wild and be "lost" If you are missing a pet, check the stables, use [getpet and look at your control slot count. Also ask yourself did you bond your pet?
8. Lack of money to pay for the auto insurance
9. Overweight backpack causes items to drop out of your pack. This commonly happens when you are killed and your bag of holding dumps out to your main pack
10. Looted by a player or by certain monsters, they can "rummage through your pack" and steal items
11. Forgot to lock down/secure an item or chest in your house
12. Players stand around afk and get killed/looted
13. Did you drop your item into your trashbag?
14. Was your item cursed, it can be looted!
15. Did an item disappear due to a crash or revert? Sorry we cannot replace items if we had to revert back to an earlier save. If you get disconnected/crash, pets are usually found in the stable
16. Does anyone else have access to your acct? Does anyone else have access to your house? Many times a girlfriend, roomate, sibling etc took the item if your acct is not secure
17. If you "lend" an item to another player and they dont log back in, there is nothing a GM can do.
18. Do not leave your character AFK, even in a safe zone, accidents and pk can happen
19. The gold ledger is a complicated script and has room for error upon instances of death, insurance and vendors. Only use one gold ledger! Only use one loot bag! If you try to use multiple items you may confuse/glitch the script
20. Add gold to your vendors, if they run out, they will leave and steal all your items
21. Many artifacts are scripted to be not repairable and with low durability so when it hits zero durability it will break/disapear. This is normal and intended.
22. If you lost a peice of deco in your house, you probably remodeled recently. During customization the items are stored in your moving crate on the house sign gump, you will find them there.
23. If you die in game and do not return to your body in time, the items will decay and disappear
24. Do not store any custom items on keys. The keys were made for standard items only and not for custom items. If you add a custom item to a key, it may lose it's properties or get it stuck in the key. (do not use the fill from pack command on the keys, it will suck in the custom items)
25. If you are AFK and mounted, players can get dismounted and your pet may go wild. If you are going to stay logged in AFK in a public area you should always shrink your pets to avoid losing your mount.
26. If you use a UORazor/UOSteam/AssistUO auto dress macro you may lose items. That is a third-party piece of software and you are using player-made scripts. Beware those macros may have flaws! Use at your own risk!
We will no longer replace any items for any reason
Since the population has now become so large, and many of the player base is attempting to take advantage of the staff, we must revise the "Lost Item" policy
In the past we have tried to be flexible and replace some items in rare cases, that seemed to have some merit. In the past 5 years of investigating "lost" items, the results of every investigation has been player error.
Recently we have been flooded with false claims of lost items, multiple claims to each staff member and just plain lies about how the items disappeared.
In an attempt to cut down the volume of false claims we are imposing a 100ED fee to research a lost item claim. This will allow us to investigate "Real" missing item claims, and lessen the "fake" claims that waste staff time and energy
In order to research a claim we have to download an old save, locate the original item, find the serial number and track the item. We then have to search in the current save and see if there is an item match on the live server. This process can take well over an hour and is a big interruption to our day.
The fee will be non-refundable. If we find the item and it was a server or staff error, the item will be replaced and the fee refunded. If the investigation reveals it was human error or one of the items listed on the "Lost Item" section of the wiki, you will lose the fee!
Reporting a Lost Item
Some additional info and procedure for lost item claims:
I lost my item! Is it a bug?
We investigate all the reports we get that include enough info to do so! Unfortunately many reports do not contain nearly enough info for us to pursue.
If you have lost an item your FIRST action should be to read the wiki at Lost Items or [wiki in game and navigating to Rules>Lost Items
The 100ED charge is non-refundable, regardless of outcome, and is a preventative measure to prevent players from paging staff to find their items until they have thoroughly searched, and are sure their item is actually lost. Please be aware- this charge does not guarantee you will get your item back. If the item has been deleted (IE you trashed it by accident or it decayed)- then it is gone forever and can not be replaced. Another example of a scenario where the item exists but you can not get it back, would be if you lost it by not insuring it and it was stolen from your bag, or you died and another player looted your body. We can not in either of these instances tell you who has the item, nor return it to you. The other player obtained the item via normal game mechanics.
Help us help you!
Know the Serials of your pieces. Every item on the server has a unique Serial number. With wearable items you can find this by placing all your items on a your UOSteam Dress Agent: while wearing the items go to Steam/ Agents/Dress. Create a NEW Dress-1 > Import. The number next to each item beginning with 0x-------- is the Serial. You can write this down, screenshot it or trust UOSteam will save it for you. Repeat this process with any additional suits or items you use- such as crafting suits.
If an item is not wearable and you want to note it's identifier go to Macros> Choose the "Object Inspector" button on the bottom center left. Target the item: Note the Serial in the window that pops up. Good things to note the serials of are, keys and other non-blessed valuables that you carry.
I Have Lost my Item and I have a Serial!
Now if you lose an item and have gone through the steps on the wiki lost items section- you can page staff with the serial, and 100Ed and ask for a search. As previously stated, you may or may not get the item back, depending on where the item is and how it was lost.
I Have Lost my item but I do not have a Serial!
If you lose an item and have followed all the steps in the wiki, and would still like staff assistance to find your item take the following steps:
Place 100ED in your backpack.
PM staff with the following info:
- Exact time you realized your item was missing
- Exact time when you last saw the item, and EXACT place where the item was. If the item was not normally kept in the place you last saw it then-
- Place where you normally keep the item (IE- You normally keep the item in the blue chest on the bottom floor or your house but last remember seeing it in your backpack)
- When you first obtained the item (this can be general if it was a long time ago, but be as specific as you can if it was recent...("last Tuesday morning" as opposed to "about a week ago"). If you obtained the item very recently and know it's history that may be useful for example, if you purchased an item within a week, the player whom you purchased it from, and when, may be useful
- A complete description of the item, Name with correct spelling and capitalization.
IMPORTANT:Failure to provide as much of the above information may mean we are unable to search for your item. This specific information is required so that we can track down the item on a save. The save must be loaded (a time consuming process; therefore, we need to know as much about where the item was at a specific time to know which save to load and where to look). We then track down the item, grab the serial number and search for it on the live server. As previously stated, you may or may not get the item back, depending on where the item is and how it was lost.